Tuesday, October 11, 2011

28 Days to Health- Days 1 and 2

Yesterday I embarked on a program called "28 Days to Health". It is offered by my chiropractor, and I learned about it just as I happened to be looking to do a serious detox and cleanse. It is a colon, kidney, and liver cleanse, supplemented by lessons on eating "clean" and development of a new way to think about food and your consumption of it.

On the program, you eat one clean meal a day, minus any traces of gluten, caffeine, sugar, soy and dairy. For the other two meals, you eat their special protein/fiber shakes packed with what your body "needs" to survive.

I thought I'd post some updates on my progress- as a way to get back into blogging. I am doing it here because my idea is to include some "clean" recipes- which are surprisingly hard to come by on the internets.

Last night's dinner:
Chicken with Quinoa


Ingredients:
1 cup rinsed quinoa
2 cups alkaline broth (recipe to follow)
2-4 tbs EVOO
2 organic garlic cloves, minced
1 small organic yellow onion, diced or cut into strips
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (free-range, grain fed, etc. etc.) cut into chunks
1 organic zucchini, diced
1 small organic tomato, diced
1 tbs lime juice
Pink Himalayan salt, fresh ground pepper

1.  Bring the quinoa and broth to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Simmer until the broth is absorbed, the quinoa is fluffy, and you can see the white line in the grain (about 10 mins).

2.  Heat 2 tbs of EVOO in a skillet, and add the garlic and onion. Cook until they are translucent. Once that is ready, throw in the chicken. Cook the chicken until it is still slightly pink in the middle, then remove the chicken and set aside for now. Add some salt and pepper to it while it is cooking, if you'd like. Add a bit more oil and add the zucchini and tomatoes. Cook until the zucchini is tender (5-8 mins). I covered mine while doing this- and stirred occasionally- it seemed to work all right. Return the chicken to the skillet and sprinkle with the lime juice. Continue cooking until the chicken fully cooked and hot, about 10 more minutes. Again, I covered it while doing this.

Serve the chicken and veggies over hot quinoa! Mine came out really moist. You can add raisins to the quinoa if you'd like to make it a bit fancier.

I saved half for lunch today- so I guess it was about 2 servings.

*Disclaimer: I am by far, no chef- lol! I do all right with recipes, but my palate tends to enjoy greasy, sugary, well... YUMMY comfort food most times. Which is why eating clean is a challenge for me. So I figured, hey- might as well try something out of my comfort zone and try to get a bit healthier too.

No comments: