Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Alkaline Broth

So, as part of the 28 Days to Health Program, I am to have 1 serving of this "alkaline broth" daily.  There are also supplements you can purchase, but I opted to make my own, with their provided recipe as a guide.

For my first batch- this is what I did:
Purchase all organic everything!  The point of all of this is to detox, and to do that, you should try to eat as clean as possible.  Therefore, the less pesticides, hormones, additives, etc., the better.
I went to my local Sprouts (which I have always loved!) and shopped in different areas than I ever had before.  Here's what I got:
Organic russet potatoes
Organic yellow onion
Organic celery
Organic baby spinach
Whole flax (I had never bought anything out of those bins before!)

To make the broth, use a 1:3 ratio of the potato, onion+celery, and spinach.
Just scrub everything really good and rough-cut it- do not peel.  Then dump it all into a saucepan with filtered water that just covers the veggies.  Bring to a boil.  Transfer to a crock pot unless you like a high gas bill, and simmer on low for 4-6 hours.  I did mine for 6.  Then, strain the broth- and make sure you are straining INTO a pot of some sort.  I almost threw mine down the sink!

Drink warm for brothy goodness, and try not to nuke.  You can refrigerate/ freeze any extra. I figured that I will just use this broth as a substitute for anything that calls for chicken stock- like for cooking the quinoa.

Tonight I reheated a mug-full on the stove and am currently eating it with a chinese soup spoon.  Not  a bad way into tricking myself that I am actually eating soup!

No comments: